Wednesday, April 27

One step closer to apathtic cynicism

I try and try not to be a cynical person (although it doesn't always work so well) but today I think I've crossed over and there may not be any turning back. I was listening to NPR on my way to work this morning and heard two back to back stories about Congress. One about Tom Delay's un-ethical ways and how the republicans tried to pass a bill that made it easy to get out of investigations should something like Delay's case come to light. And another about a new federal abortion law they're trying to pass through that makes it OK for one state's laws to follow you into another state. Then, while at work I read about Georgie Bush's new brilliant energy initiatives. Instead of trying to find cleaner, more energy-efficient fuels, he's decided it'd be brilliant to make MORE oil refineries on unused government property. Brilliant. What little faith or trust I had in our government (and it wasn't much) is now gone. They try to find ways around being held responsible for their own actions. They try to mix up state laws with federal laws. They do their best to continue our generation into a deeper pit of environmental sludge.... I've had enough. I don't know. Is the answer to pick up and move to another country? Should I just suck it up and ignore it and join the rest of the apathetic masses? Maybe I'll run for mayor so that one day I can be president. Sometimes I wish that life were more like a choose-your-own-adventure when it came to some bigger issues. I hate feeling so helpless. I'm not good at helpless. Anyone else out there feeling it too?

1 comment:

cynthia said...

lisa for president!

we feel it too, don't worry, you're not alone. i was just telling someone the other day that i wanted to move to another country. but we have to make this one better, not leave it to the jackals.