Saturday, October 27

South Korea Way

Ever since John started learning Korean, it seems like I've been inundated with all things Korean. Not that I mind - it's a culture I never knew much about growing up (in our house everything Asian was Chinese). Now that John walks around the house mumbling things in Korean (still don't know what he's saying), we've started bringing more of Korea into our lives. The most recent addition is this great Korean grocery store on a part of a main street that's lovingly called "South Korea Way" - it's really called South Tacoma Way. The market it awesome. Not only are the prices great but there are SO many fruits, veggies, fish, sweets....so many things I've never heard of, let alone seen. Usually we're the only non-Asians in the place and sometimes John has to translate the signs for me. But I love it! I've grown to love the sesame balls and red bean donut things in the bakery. It's great. Although they can keep the kimchi. No thanks.

So now my South Korean addition to the house is my economics paper. Ya. It's on the history of South Korean economics. Like I ever thought I'd be writing something like that. Ah well. I'm learning a lot. For such a small country, it has been ravaged with war and economic craziness for the last 100 years. And why they don't teach more about the Korean War in school, I'll never know.

For now I'll just enjoy my sesame balls and fresh coconut. Yum.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

I love that you are getting more of Korea into your life!! How fun! I can't wait. Love you so much. Thanks for calling me yesterday. MWOAH

Anna said...

Are there alot of Koreans in Tacoma? Who would have thought! But how fantastic to get to know the culture. I do not know a whole lot about their culture. I did watch when Diane Sawyer went to North Korea. SO interesting and sad and creepy at the same time. Please post more on what you are learning! Or email me your paper.
love you

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.